We recently spent a long weekend in Valencia, Spain's sun-soaked third city and really felt like we only scratched the surface of this beautiful place. We stayed near the beach and loved the wide promenade which hugged miles of mediterranean shoreline - it reminded us a lot of Venice Beach with a kind of Californian, laid back style.
We didn't have a chance to explore much of the old city properly but it was jam-packed with tapas bars and cool shops and had a real buzz about it. What impressed us most was the city planning and the public areas (with bike lanes through most of it) with incredible modern architecture which somehow complemented the older buildings.
I've rounded up my top ten of things to do and places to go to if you too only have a few days there - I would definitely recommend it if you're after a sunny city break only a short flight away. We'll be back!
1. Have brunch at Boa Beach
2. Wander around the Botanical Garden
3. Drink horchata at Horchatateria de Santa Catelina
4. Shop for vintage clothes at Kauf Vintage
5. Find a table for lunch at La Mas Bonita
6. Buy traditional Valencian chocolate at Xoco and Vero
7. Cycle through Turia Gardens
8. Search out the city's best street art
9. Explore the stunning City of Arts and Sciences
10. Eat tapas in the old town